torstai 1. helmikuuta 2007

Write it back

After finishing classes this morning we were walking away from the campus in a bright blue morning. The sky had a slight hint of gray in most directions, but on the southwest it was completely murky. The cloud masses seem to travel very swiftly, so after ten minutes of walking and watching the cumulonimbus chase us we were hailed from above.

The hailstones make your face feel all tingly and ruthless is their way onto the back of your exposed neck, unless you're clever enough to wear something with a hood. After a brisk and refreshing minute of that it turned, much to our disappointment, into a honest rain. A few minutes after the clouds were all gone again. Such is the weather in Iceland, temperamental and moody like the mind of a humanities student.

Hey, trust me. I'm one.

There's some trouble in our apartment again, since our only washing machine appears to be broken. When you have nearly a dozen tenants in here, you'll quickly have a lot of unhappiness and dirty clothes in a queue if something so crucial is out of order for some time. The other fridge isn't doing a very good job either. There's a growing sense of discontent among us. It doesn't really help liven up the feelings I have towards my living arrangements right now. Besides that, I'm enjoying my life in Reykjavík. Still, wouldn't a comfortable home be a rather essential thing when it comes to everyday happiness?

I try not to write about blogging, since I don't have much experience or knowledge about the subject. Since starting to write here more regularly, I've noticed something different in how I think about certain things. By now my contemplative nature should hardly be a surprise to anyone. I now sometimes find myself asking myself if I could weave the thoughts strings I was just going through into a pattern which could make sense for someone else. It gives me a different kind of view to the things I'm rotating around in my mind. Would this knowledge or experience be useful for someone? Could it be amusing or heartwarming?

I'm not trying to make myself too aware of my thoughts or direct them anywhere just for the sake of making them sound more interesting. Before I had my own blog I remember having a discussion about them with someone. I declared that blogs where people write about themselves are sort of diaries which they conveniently unlocked forget to somewhere public, sort of thinking whether someone will discover and read their thoughts or not. Some days the diary is forgotten somewhere really visible, sometimes it's mostly tucked under the morning paper. Now when I have some actual first hand experience with blogging, I stand by my opinion. It's a nice feeling to know that someone probably discovered what you had on your mind that given day. If they found it somehow significant or curious enough to make them come back some other day, then you must be doing something right. Even if it's the smallest, silliest thoughts, you're giving something to the world.

Ei kommentteja: