maanantai 12. helmikuuta 2007

The lazy traveller

So far I've been the worst Iceland visitor, I haven't really been anywhere outside the capital yet. Many people from our house have been rather laborous with daytripping, but I've never been able to go with them. Every single time I schedule something, it gets into way of something else.

And that's once every two weeks or so.

The situation is about to change though, since at least my dad is going to visit in a couple of weeks. I can use that to comfort my wanderer soul, which has started to wail a little. And then again, I still walk everywhere in the city, and am enjoying it rather much. I'll manage.

The UK English accents sound more and more lovely to my ears every single time I hear someone speak on them. I was occupying the hottest hot pot a couple of days back, and some lad stopped walking in when the water reached his knees. "Oi! 'tis too bloody hot!", he said. "Just bite yer tongue, mate!" I answered. I think my Scotsman impression is very lousy, but that led into a short but quirky conversation about Scotland, Finland and why Icelandic men live so long.

Our housing community seems to be rattling a little more day by day. At the beginning everyone was being very careful about not letting any dishes be around unwashed or water on the bathroom floor after taking a shower. Maybe it's sheer politeness towards people you don't know in the beginning, but now that we're starting to settle in, some of us are getting lazy or ignorant when it comes to common courtesy towards others. Doesn't really help to liven up the athmosphere in here. It's not like most of us don't like each other, but most of us don't like living here. Now my best friend from here is moving out so I'll probably stop calling this the Orange house, 'cause our future's not bright!

Besides that, life's good in Reykjavík. The ducks, swans and geese seem to be getting along fine at Tjörnin too. This morning I took a completely different route to the campus and was delighted that even if it looks longer on map, it really isn't. That adds even more variety to my morning walks.

When I popped by at Perlan, which also houses the Saga Museum, I thought that a wax character in lobby looked kind of like Richard D. James. A completely random Flickr browsing session revealed that I'm not the only one thinking so. The comment row is fun, too.

Ei kommentteja: