perjantai 23. helmikuuta 2007

Interviewsection/intersectionview

Lots of goodness recently!

I've got some visitors now as dad came over with my stepmother and -sisters. This means a few things:
* They rented a car. That gives us a lot of flexibility for moving around. They'll want to do the Golden Circle on Saturday, but I'm thinking of a Tour de Snæfellsnes for Sunday.
* I received a shipment of Essential Finnish Goods. Salmiakki, rye bread, Fazer chocolate and alcohol. Only missing were a sauna and antidepressants, and of them I only crave one, but I'll leave it for you to figure out which!
* I can lure them into places where I would've liked to eat but have been too cheap to do it myself. I plan to do this by giving some vague, cheeky and totally made up recommendations about how the quality of offerings in this specific place would now perfectly complement and further magnify the greatness of our daily industrious activities.

Winter Lights Festival kicked off. I went to see Michel Moglia's fire organ show. Rather impressive, it has to be said! The loudness of that was perfectly balanced with a rather serene little art exhibition at the city hall, A Dark Light. I was especially impressed by the northern light paintings, the colors were wonderful. Obviously a painter can some extra touches of color, but she had not gone overboard with it.

Next week will be a "reading week" at the uni, and my classes are suspended. However, for the language classes we're supposed to do a little interview with an Icelander, in Icelandic obviously. My local connections are not especially plentiful, but they were enough. One of the people I met at the election office party promised to do it. The funny thing is that I hadn't seen her for a few weeks now, but after arranging a meeting for tomorrow, I bumped into her in the middle of the Lækjargata-Bankastræti intersection. It was an odd place to have a quick conversation, with cars going by on both sides. I'll just try to focus on my Icelandic pronunciation and hope she won't be calling the cops tomorrow for trying to kill her with laughter.

Other good stuff:
* A couple of Mr. Scruff's monthly Keep It Unreal mixes streamable at giantstep.net! The versions are shortened since KIU sets run for at least six hours, but it's still a highly adorable mix of soulful and groovy stuff. I've been planning to attend one of these myself, possibly even this spring or summer, and I even might be able to pull it off.
* Scruff's tea label, music videos and other involved silliness.
* Receiving updates on what kind of inside humor and memes have been going on among a certain group of friends since you departed, and still laughing, even when you only see them in text.
* The Fast Show
* Realizing that your teeth still indeed are capable of processing said rye bread.

5 kommenttia:

Satsuma kirjoitti...

Onneksi olkoon vieraista, virvokkeista, ravintolaretkistä ja melkein varmasta duunipaikasta! Sähän oot jo käynytkin Tapas Barinnissa, se on kyllä ihan ykkönen. Laekjarbrekkaa kehuvat kovasti, vink vink iskä.

Hienoa, että random goodies -listojen tekeminen valtaa alaa ;)

dtw kirjoitti...

Hei thänks! Pitää koittaa pistää nimi mieleen vieläpä tuokin.

Ja niin. Mä tunnen olevani taas niin kehno imitaattorikopio ja perässähiihtäjä, mutta pakko taitaa olla pitäytyä tuossa formaatissa kunnes keksin simppeliä listaa paremman keinon välittää ne random goodiet.

Satsuma kirjoitti...

No höh! Tostahan melkein joku vainoharhaisempi lukis rivien välistä, että täällä halveksutaan random good stuffien listaamista!

Mutta toivottavasti siellä on hyvät kelit, ja pääsette tekemään huipun road tripin vierailugängin kanssa!

dtw kirjoitti...

Eihä. Tätä vaan kirjoittaa jamppa jonka mielestä ois olla omaperäinen, luova ja edelläkäyvä.

Edes kerran.

Satsuma kirjoitti...

Samma här. Harmi, että Erlend Loe ehti ensin. Tai ainakin se kirjoitti kirjan ekaks, niin on paha todistaa, että on harrastanut moista koko ikänsä :)