tiistai 8. toukokuuta 2007

Life at the sidewalks

One of the essential Reykjavík area characteristics are the relatively narrow sidewalks. I haven't yet discovered whether this is the cause or the effect, but the local walking behaviour seems quite different from what I've used to. The Icelanders don't seem to like making way, so we foreigners end up sailing from one side to the another, dodging the determined looking locals walking their perfectly straight lines.

This naturally isn't a problem since I'm used to doing it anyway, but it makes me wonder what happens when two groups of Icelanders going to different directions meet at the narrow trodding paths. I never realized to observe, but based on my own experiences, I'm assuming an inevitable crash. Actually, I think that Mike Patton visited Iceland when working on Faith No More's Album of the Year and wrote the track Collision on Icelandic sidewalk behaviour.

No, the jokes aren't going to get any better. Suck it up and bear with me.

The narrowness makes the cycling a little tricky at times as well. While you'll definately attract more attention from the other traffic participants when you're on the saddle, there often isn't ample room to maneuver. As a result I find myself interacting on the other sidewalk users a lot more than I'm used to. The thankful headbobs and smiles, ushering someone else to go with a wave and the like are quickly becoming the second nature.

Ei kommentteja: